Scoresby Hose Company History :
The Scoresby Hose Company No. 1 was established in 1872 to manage fire hoses and carts to improve firefighting efforts in Ellenville, New York. It was created after the village trustees authorized the formation of two volunteer fire companies in 1857, with the company named in honor of Dr. William F. Scoresby, a beloved local physician. The company’s first major task was helping extinguish a fire at the Morse plaster mill.
The company grew quickly, securing a new hose carriage in 1873 and adopting a uniform. Over the years, Scoresby Hose expanded its responsibilities and equipment, eventually incorporating the Hook and Ladder company in 1899 after the original ladder company disbanded. In 1910, the company established a building association, purchasing a site and constructing a clubhouse by 1911. In 1916 a building to house the equipment was added, and a few years later Mr. Fischer put on an extension for his red fire chief's car.The company officially became incorporated in 1917.
On December 7, 1917, the organization officially became Scoresby Hose and Hook and Ladder Company Inc. This is the full title given in the incorporation papers though the name is written in several ways now, perhaps most commonly Scoresby Hose and Hook and Ladder Co.
The building-free and clear for over a half century due to the hard work and generosity of many-is owned by the company.
The present garage (financed by Scoresby's themselves) was dedicated on September 14, 1969 and provides ample space for the valuable 75' aerial ladder.
Throughout its history, Scoresby Hose has been instrumental in providing firefighting services and improving equipment. Notable leaders, like Charles G.A. Fischer, played a significant role in shaping the company’s reputation for excellence. The company has also contributed to the community, such as by funding the Boy with the Boot fountain in 1925.
Today, Scoresby Hose, as part of the Ellenville Fire District, continues to serve the public with the same motto it adopted at its inception: “We toil for the public safety.” Over its 150-year history, it has remained a pillar of the community, known for its dedication, discipline, and volunteer spirit.